Remote Sensing Application Center Agriculture & Soil Science
AGRICULTURE AND SOIL SCIENCE
Today Madhya Pradesh is facing new challenges due to continued population growth pressure and stagnation in farm level productivity. The rapid and continuing increase in population implies a great demand for food. It is obvious economy of Madhya Pradesh is based on agriculture/agriculture industries. In the agriculture productivity state is too below to the national average therefore the planners must keep it on priority, so that the productivity can be achieved around national average. The techniques are needed that can facilitate the integration and utilization of inter disciplinary knowledge in solving agricultural problems at field, farm and regional scale and thus increase the efficiency in improving the production.
1. To study the agricultural resources monitoring viz. area and production using remote sensing based techniques.
2. Calibration and validation of simulation model for yields of selected crops in Madhya Pradesh using yield collected by Crop cutting experiments in selected districts.
3. To Develop Remote Sensing techniques for soybean, maize in kharif season using microwave sensor as well as optical sensor satellite data for Madhya Pradesh.
4. To Develop Remote Sensing techniques for selected horticultural crops optical sensor satellite data for Madhya Pradesh.
5. To Develop Remote Sensing based techniques using high resolution remote sensing data from satellites for optimum crop cutting experiment planning and improving yield estimation>
1. Wheat Crop Acreage and Production Estimation (CAPE) in selected 08 districts of Central MP.
2. Cotton Crop Acreage and Condition Assessment (CACA) in selected study districts of MP.
3. Crop Acreage and Production Estimation (CAPE) using Remote Sensing satellite data and ground truth data in selected districts of for wheat, mustard, paddy and cotton crop dominant districts of MP.
4. National Wheat crop Acreage and Production Forecasting using multi-date AWiFS Sensor satellite data.
5. National Rice Acreage and Production Forecasting using multi-date SAR Micro Wave satellite data.
6. Joint Experiment Program on Microwave (JEP-MW) for Technique development.
7. Soil Mapping of Panna National Park.
8. Upscaling of methane emission from rice fields using ground sampling and remote sensing satellite data.
9. Energy Water Balance and Crop Growth Monitoring (CGMS) Project for crop simulation yield modeling.
10. Digital data base creation for Land use Land cover under the Project on “NRIS State Node of MP”.
11. Cartosat Utilization Program (CUP) Project: Understanding crop/ vegetation signatures in CARTOSAT data for techniques development.
12. Digital data base creation for Soil mapping at 1:50000 scale under the project on “NRIS State Node of MP”.
13. NRC - Land Degradation mapping: Digital data base creation for degraded lands of MP.
14. FASAL (Forecasting Agricultural output using Space, Agro-meteorology and Land based observations) operational for rice, cotton, mustard and wheat crops.
15. Soil Carbon Pool Assessment in MP.
16. Energy Mass Exchange in Vegetative System (Agriculture and Forest) in MP.
17. RISAT Utilization Program of ISRO, DOS, India for development of Soybean Crop discrimination techniques.
18. FASAL – R&D Project: Pulses crops and Cotton crop assessment and monitoring for the dominant districts of Madhya using multi-date satellite data.
19. FASAL – Operational Project: The operational area and production forecasting of Paddy, Cotton, Mustard and Wheat crops of Madhya Pradesh.
20. Leaf Area Index Retrieval Project: Retrieval of leaf area index for agricultural crops over Madhya Pradesh using field measurements and satellite data Under the Program ‘GISAT: Science & Pre-launch preparatory Developments.
21. Technology Mission for Cotton (TMC): To assess the spatio-temporal patterns of cotton crop distribution and condition using remote sensing data, meteorological and ground based data, and visualization of the spatio-temporal patterns of cotton crop in the study area through BHUVAN, ISRO geo-portal.
22. Agricultural Drought Vulnerability Assessment at Sub-district level in Madhya Pradesh: Creation of spatial and non-spatial database, at district and sub-district level, by analyzing the satellite data as well as secondary data collected from multiple sources, for Madhya Pradesh state for the assessment of agricultural drought vulnerability.
23. KISHAN (C(K)rop Insurance using Space technology And geoiNformatics) project: To explore use of remote sensing derived yield zones for Crop Cutting Experiment planning, the use of UAV based high resolution imaging for crop assessment, development of a composite/ model (Weather cum RS based ) for crop yield assessment, generation of optimum sampling plan for crop cutting experiments, yield estimates at block level.
24. Forecasting of Agriculture outputs through Satellite, Agrometeorology and Land based observations under R&D (FASAL – R&D) for pulses crop discrimination techniques development. 25.CHAMAN (Coordinated programme on Horticulture Assessment and MAnagement using geoiNformatics). 26.Land Surface Biophysical Parameter Retrieval under ISRO’s GISAT utilization Science program.
1. FASAL - Operational (Forecasting Agricultural output using Space, Agrometeorology & Land based observations) Project in Madhya Pradesh.
2. Development of large-scale Soil Moisture Change (SMC) estimation technique using ScatSat-1 scatterometer time series data
3. CHAMAN – Phase-2 (Coordinated programme on Horticulture Assessment and MAnagement using geoiNformatics).
4. Calibration and Validation of Satellite data: calibration and validation of surface reflectance/ radiance for Resourcesat-2 AWiFS, LISS 3 and Landsat 8 OLI satellite data.
5. Gross Primary Productivity from Agriculture (GPP-Agriculture) under ISRO’s GISAT utilization Science program.
6. Development of polarimetric SAR model for estimating Above Ground Biomass of select forests of Madhya Pradesh.
7. Retrieval and Validation of Surface Albedo using ground observations over Madhya Pradesh under ISRO’s GISAT utilization Science program. 8. Space Technology Utilization for Food Security, Agricultural Assessment and Monitoring (SUFALAM) for Area, Crop Stress and Yield estimation of some Kharif and Rabi crops.
1. District level pre-harvest Crop Acreage and Production forecasting estimates for wheat, cotton and mustard of MP. The forecast was useful for planning purpose (Price fixation/ storage/ import/ export etc) to the Govt. and other user agencies.
2. Under Joint Experiment Program on Microwave the techniques developed for generation of soybean crop signature and biomass using Scan SAR Microwave data. The developed methodology will be used for the soybean crop acreage forecasting using microwave data which is not possible in the optical data due to cloud cover.
3. Under Impact evaluation of watershed developmental activities Pre and post implementation status of developmental activities in terms of temporal change in land use/land cover classified images and NDVI images was evaluated for Panchayat and Rural development department, GOMP (RGMWM) & RSAC (MPCST).
4. State level multi- forecast of Acreage and Production were given timely for National Wheat and National Rice Production Forecasting to Space Application centre, Ahmedabad for the submission to the Ministry of agriculture and cooperation Govt. of India.
5. The Ministry of agriculture and cooperation Govt. of India has sanctioned FASAL (Forecasting Agricultural output using Space, Agro meteorology and Land based observations) project because of the success of CAPE. In the FASAL multiforecast is being given for rice and wheat crops.
6. The yield forecasting task for large area applications in crop forecasting is very tedious and complicated job. Under the crop growth monitoring system, crop simulation models like WOFOST had been calibrated for wheat crop using experimental data and data generated / collected from farmer’s field for large area application.
7. Agriculture and Soils division has published more than fifty research papers in reputed International/ National Journals and National/ International Seminar/ Symposia/ workshop